The foods in question are:
- Pop (never diet) and chips (flavor of chips varies from patient to patient...I prefer regular)
- Potatoes (tater tots, french fries, potato salad (my personal favorite - I go through at least 5 lbs. in a week))
- Olives (both green & black) & pickles
- Fruit (strawberries & grapes are my favorite) - my advice for those of you having trouble getting your kids to eat this stuff buy some chocolate dip and up the calorie content
- Italian dressing & mayonnaise or Miracle Whip - we use it up the calorie content of higher protein foods to make them more edible (as my dad says to this day..I like to have a little egg salad with my mayo)
These are the foods that got me to age 12 without being diagnosed.
As my mother says she could get me to eat my sandwiches if I could have the crust removed and have chips & a pickle or two.
For some reason a lot of UCD patients I have met also crave high sodium foods. For example, after I was initially diagnosed by Dr. Brusilowe he took my salt off my meal trays to see if it would change my eating habits. That did not last long after he saw how much it affected my appetite.
I guess what I am trying to say to the patients and families out there is that I have figured out as a UCD patient that if I am having a food craving it is usually for a reason and I have just learned to go with it. Also, after attending several NUCDF conferences and seeing other UCD patients craving the same things that helps me and my husband realize my cravings are not that insane.